Washington State Pre-licensing Requirements
Pre-licensing Requirements for the lines of Life, Disability, Property, Casualty, Personal lines.
- You are required to pass a state exam in order to get an insurance license.
- You will need to pass a separate exam for each line of insurance you require.
- You may schedule an exam with PSI at any time, but Intellipass recommends 20 hours of self-study using our courseware.
- You may schedule to have your fingerprints taken at PSI.
- You may apply for your license once you have passed an exam (a score of 70% is passing) and meet all the qualifications under RCW 48.17.090.
The State insurance exams are administered by PSI. Call 855-205-5825 to schedule and pay for an exam or go to the PSI's website. Information about the exams and fingerprinting may be found on PSI's website in the Candidate Information Bulletin (it's very important that you read it). When registering for an exam you must certify to certain Washington Administration Code (WAC) and Revised Code of Washington (RCW): WAC 284-17-130, WAC 284-17-125, RCW 48.17.125, RCW 48.17.530.
Fingerprinting: If you are not currently a licensed insurance producer in Washington State, a fingerprint card is required when you apply for a resident insurance license. Digital fingerprinting services are available at the PSI testing centers for $49.25. This fee includes the rolling fee and background check . Candidates must make a reservation and payment before they can have their fingerprints taken at the test center. Contact IdentoGO at 888-771-5097 or online at identogo.com.
You may apply for your license online: https://fortress.wa.gov/oic/onlineservices/Login.aspx?module=LSE